Pagoda is shepherding a future where NEAR becomes the blockchain operating system. We believe that re-inventing how software is made and distributed is our greatest opportunity to open economic access to those who are not fully integrated into the global economy. Our products empower people to find opportunity, invent new experiences, and collaborate. Let's build an Open Web world. A world where people control their assets, data, and power of governance.
About The Role
The Protocol Node team is looking for a senior software engineer to focus on the experience of running NEAR’s blockchain client: making the client easy to run, improving its stability and performance, optimizing the resources it consumes. The work done by the Node team expands over infrastructure, client code, protocol code and release engineering, since all these components impact the experience of running a NEAR client.
You will be working with complex concurrent systems, low-level code, complicated state machines, novel algorithms and infrastructure automation. You will be expected to own various components or features and drive their implementation from beginning to end, including the design, the implementation, the maintenance, and the documentation. You will be surrounded by highly productive and meticulous engineers who will be holding you to the same standards.
What You'll Be Doing
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with a globally distributed team
- Own blockchain protocol and client features
- Design and implementation of Rust components end to end
- Contribute to the team’s technical roadmap
- Engage in cross-functional work within the organization
- Contribute to discussions and debates, consolidating different perspectives to drive decisions to execution
- Anticipate risks and uncertainties and plan mitigations for them.
- Reduce the complexity of architectures, implementations, and processes.
- Set the right tempo for you and contribute to the team’s ability to deliver initiatives on time.
- End-to-end ownership of your work (design, implementation, documentation, maintenance)
- Performance tuning and optimizations
What We're Looking For
- Ability to quickly learn and grasp complex engineering concepts; we expect you to obtain a good understanding of the blockchain protocol
- An effective communicator and ability to remain calm under pressure and when juggling multiple priorities
- Being comfortable with diving in multiple parts of a technology stack and quickly navigate through it
- Familiarity with designing and implementing automation infrastructures
- Familiarity with designing and operating monitoring and alarming infrastructures
- Fluency with algorithms and data structures
- Excellent coding skills
- Ability to go from design to implementation fast
- Your work is done carefully with a great attention to detail
- Experience with Rust or alternatively but less preferred C++ or Go
- Experience with concurrency or parallelism
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field is a must
We'd Love If You Have
- Familiarity with internals of other blockchains
- Knowledge of cryptography
- Knowledge of compilers or virtual machines
- Knowledge of networks or operating systems
- Experience debugging complex concurrent systems
Here’s What Our Interview Process Looks Like
- Recruiter Screen
- Hiring Screen
- First Round:
- Algorithms & Coding Interview
- Final Round
- Navigating Ambiguity Interview
- Large System Design Interview
- Concurrency & Parallelism Interview
- Pagoda Values Interview
- Encouraged 20 days of flexible PTO per year, plus your local holidays
- Wellness weeks – 2 weeks of paid company-wide closures
- 100% Paid medical, dental and vision, AD&D and life insurance for US employees, including 85% coverage for dependents, and HSA + FSA options; For non-US employees, 100% Paid private medical coverage available at the highest tiered plan
- Access to licensed therapists and mental health resources through Spill, 100% confidential and paid by Pagoda; plus $75 monthly reimbursement for wellness
- Generous parental leave options; All employees have access to $10,000 in fertility assistance through Carrot
- For US employees, 401(k) retirement plan available (no match)
- Annual company retreats and team offsites (2023 was in Spain; 2022 in Portugal)
- $2,000 Continued Education Reimbursement
- $2,000 Home Office Reimbursement
- Co-working Space Reimbursement
Our Values at Pagoda
Our values express our company culture. Learn more on our careers page.
Pagoda is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.