Founded in 2020, Nascent exists to build, expand, and capture opportunity, in open markets and permissionless technologies. Building from a base of permanent capital, we deploy assets across a range of both liquid and long-term strategies that ensure we are among the most active users of the open financial system we are helping to build. We’ve made venture investments in 50+ early-stage teams that we believe have the potential to create substantive change, expand boundaries, and find new horizons. We are consistently on the hunt for the most competitive and curious minds exploring the edges of the crypto ecosystem and leverage our hyper flexible structure to accelerate ideas into fully deployed strategies.
As a Controller at Nascent, you’ll be at the helm of optimizing our financial infrastructure and strategic decision-making processes. Leading bank administration efforts, overseeing account optimization, and diligently monitoring cash flow will be central to enhancing our financial operations. Your role will extend to orchestrating month-end close processes, ensuring accuracy and compliance in bank reconciliations, and maintaining meticulous internal bookkeeping to fortify Nascent’s financial health.
You may thrive in this role if you love driving initiatives in an entrepreneurial setting, enjoy inspiring cross-functional teams, and are deeply passionate about maximizing financial potential through analysis and optimization. If you’re a strategic thinker with a passion for leveraging technology to create efficiency, this role could be the perfect fit for you. This is a remote role with opportunities to travel for in person collaboration and two annual retreats.
- Lead bank administration efforts, overseeing account optimization, and cash flow monitoring to enhance Nascent’s financial operations and strategic decision-making.
- Lead month-end close processes, including the preparation and review of bank reconciliations for accuracy and compliance, as well as maintaining meticulous internal bookkeeping and desk reporting to bolster Nascent’s financial health and informed decision-making.
- Drive innovation in standardized reporting methods by leveraging technology to enhance efficiency and insight, while also ensuring the availability and optimal support of the analytics platform, demonstrating a commitment to operational excellence and continuous improvement.
- Play a key role in supporting government tax audits, year-end financial statement tax preparation, statutory audits, and contribute to ad hoc projects and analyses as required, ensuring compliance with regulations.
- Assist in assessing and mitigating operational risks by establishing and documenting internal controls, policies, and process descriptions to optimize operational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Work with external service providers and contractors on: global payroll providers, EORs, and PEOs, and benefits providers to ensure seamless coordination and compliance with regulations.
- You thrive in entrepreneurial environments where you have the freedom to ideate and drive initiatives from soup to nuts.
- You excel in collaborative environments, leveraging your leadership skills to inspire and collaborate with cross-functional teams, driving financial initiatives forward towards success.
- You are deeply passionate about financial analysis and optimization, recognizing the critical role of leveraging the right tools and automations to enhance efficiency and effectiveness in bookkeeping and financial operations. You believe that optimizing financial processes is essential for maximizing financial intelligence and potential within the realm of your responsibilities as a Financial Controller.
- 3-5 years of experience in accounting or finance, including proficiency in handling end-to-end month-end close and addressing complex financial challenges. While expertise in all areas isn’t necessary, confidence in quickly adapting and learning in new financial management domains is crucial.
- High level of digital proficiency with the ability to rapidly assess, streamline, and implement tools to automate bookkeeping and reporting processes as much as possible.
Nice to Have
- Experience in implementing financial software solutions to streamline processes and enhance efficiency in financial operations.
- Familiarity with QuickBooks Online.
- Knowledge of employment contracts and compliance requirements.
- Experience with Business Intelligence (BI) analytic tools, such as Tableau, Power BI, or Looker.
- Familiarity with navigating etherscan and/or other type of block explorers and crypto accounting platforms is a plus.
- Awareness of emerging trends and best practices in financial operations and technology, with a demonstrated ability to adapt and innovate in a rapidly changing environment.
At Nascent, we are an interdisciplinary team of investors, builders & creators, capable of achieving more together than we can as individuals. We offer the opportunity to contribute to building the future global economic system with a world-class team and culture that pairs the freedom to explore, experiment & play with a competitive drive to win. We invest in our people by providing the autonomy to build, coupled with accountability & honest feedback to help learn, grow, perform & win. We’re a fully distributed team that understands the value of in-person time—we host two team retreats per year and encourage team members to come together for more frequent in-person work.
- Build for the long term
- Align incentives
- Be nimble
- Compete to win
- Explore, experiment, play
- Always be building
- Give and embrace real feedback
What We Offer
At Nascent, we offer a competitive total compensation package heavily weighted toward bonus, ensuring that when we perform at our best and the firm wins we all win.
- The opportunity to learn, experiment and build in an entrepreneurial environment
- Remote and distributed working environment
- Comprehensive health benefits package including dental, vision, and life
- Generous paid parental leave & supported return to work
- Home Office, coworking space and wellness stipend
- Retirement plan matching contributions
- Open vacation policy as well as flexible work hours and location
- Access to our internal performance coaching, technical experts and support for continuing your skill development and growth
- Team activities and bi-annual in-person team retreats
We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diversity and differences of perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of any status, inclusive of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.