At Wintermute our mission is to enable, empower and advance the truly decentralized world for more transparent and efficient markets and products. We do this by providing liquidity algorithmically across most trading venues in crypto, supporting all major centralized and decentralized trading venues, AMMs, RFQs, aggregators and chains.
Wintermute’s customer-facing business includes various OTC products such as electronic trading API and single-dealer platform for a wide range of counterparties from crypto native whales to large traditional finance institutions. Wintermute is also providing Liquidity provision services for blockchain projects where we support most of the world’s largest and most prominent launches. In addition to providing the best in class liquidity products, Wintermute is actively participating in the building and development of the blockchain ecosystem through investments from Wintermute Ventures, partnerships and co-development with upcoming protocols and incubation of own projects.
Wintermute is a hyper-growth highly profitable business with a very ambitious vision and roadmap. We manage billions of dollars in assets and trade more than $5B/day. We are backed by Lightspeed, Pantera Capital, Sino Global Capital, Blockchain.com Ventures, Avon Ventures by Fidelity Investments, DeFi Alliance and other top tier investors. We are run as a technology company, not a financial service provider, and we build our culture around core values of ambition, collaboration, entrepreneurship, transparency and meritocracy.
Working at Wintermute
We are looking for a Business Development Associate who will help bring our Asia business to completely new heights. We are looking for someone who knows or is deeply interested in the Asian crypto market and is excited to make a big impact for Wintermute in Asia (China and beyond).
You will be responsible for acquiring new counterparties and partners in Asia, as well as growing Wintermute’s existing business. You will become responsible for a set of opportunities (a specific market and/or product) and will own these opportunities from end to end. You will develop your own strategic growth plan, while also getting advice and guidance from the local and UK management teams.
We have the best liquidity products in the market, we work with many of the most prominent blockchain projects, we have many strategic growth opportunities in the pipeline, and a long line of counterparties wanting to develop relationships with us. We have no legacy processes, no corporate bureaucracy, no multiple levels of approvals, yet the highest standards of professionalism.
What will you work on
As we are a hyper-growth startup in one of the most dynamic industries, we are constantly changing and so do the roles of everyone in the company. Your role will be truly varied and will include some of the core ownership areas, as well as various projects based on both your talents/preferences and business needs of the company. There is a lot of room to shape and expand this role – there is no limit set by the company!
- Grow the OTC business in your market (both manual and RFQ) – this includes developing and executing your own growth plan which will have many of angles to it: acquiring new counterparties, developing existing relationships, cooperating with developer teams on productizing the solution and execution of trades
- Grow the crypto project market making business – deepen relationships with existing crypto projects and acquire new ones
- Develop new relationships with high-profile crypto projects, crypto VCs, institutional investors, miners and other parties of the crypto eco-system; note that we are connected to many of these parties or can get introduced, so this is all about systematically developing the relationships and bringing them to the next level
- Work with various cross-functional teams to drive brand awareness in the key markets you are responsible for
- Develop existing relationships with exchanges globally and bring them to the next level
- Keep track of key launches and news in the crypto eco-system and proactively identify cooperation and business development opportunities
Hard Skills Requirements
- BSc/MSc in Business/Economics/Finance or any related degree
- Top tier MBA is an advantage but not required
- Fluent English; professional fluency in at least one of the key Asian languages (Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, Japanese)
- Understanding of both Asian and Western mindsets and ways of doing business
- Experience with the financial services/capital markets industry; experience with Asian crypto markets and/or trading companies/hedge funds is an advantage
- Experience in business development or any client-facing role (B2B sales, management consulting, investment banking, etc.)
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written – this is not about pitching, but being convincing, concise, precise, a good listener; being clear on next steps and always following up on promises
- Experience delivering business results – be ready to talk about numbers/quota achievement, etc.
- Experience in BD or similar role facing institutional crypto, institutional traditional finance, blockchain projects is a significant advantage
- Willingness, aptitude and curiosity to understand the fundamentals of blockchain technologies, algorithmic trading and Liquidity provision is crucial
- Have an owner mentality: you focus on the ultimate result for the company (short and long-term growth)
- Able to understand the bigger picture and be very hands-on and practical
- Love problem solving, and love seeing the tangible results of you work
- Determined, ambitious yet humble, willing to work hard, take feedback and learn on the way
- Like meritocracy and being judged by what you deliver
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset versus working 9-to-5 mentality; prepared to work non-standard working hours (since we are a high-growth startup operating in 24/7 crypto world)
- Like working in the team collaborative environment (not fully remote), at least 70% of time working from our office
- A unique opportunity to work on very interesting projects, get the level of responsibility and ownership that would take 5-10 years longer to get in a traditional trading company/bank/hedge fund
- Great culture: highly professional and ambitious, yet informal, friendly, non-hierarchical, collaborative and entrepreneurial
- A modern, centrally-located Singapore Office
- A vibrant work culture with frequent team meals, holiday celebrations, gaming events, and company-wide outings, including our annual Wintermute Weekend getaway.
- Aligned incentive structure: on top of competitive fixed compensation you get significant performance-based variable pay