Lead Analyst, Threat Intelligence
Coinbase is one of the oldest and largest crypto exchanges, and Coinbase Jobs are one of the most coveted in the industry. Founded in 2012, Coinbase is now a crypto heavyweight with over 68 million verified users and 1,250 employees. Coinbase even went public in 2021 on Nasdaq via a direct listing.
Coinbase was launched by Brian Armstrong and Fred Ehrsam. It is based in San Francisco, California. However, the exchange now has offices spread across multiple cities in US, Europe, and Asia. Coinbase brought in a revenue of $2.23 Billion in Q2 2020, and at the peak of its share price, its valuation exceeded $100 Billion.
Coinbase does not advertise a lot of internship opportunities. However, they do come from time to time.
Coinbase has also embraced remote jobs. Pretty much most positions that Coinbase is hiring for now are remote. However, Coinbase Remote Jobs are country-specific. Meaning, Coinbase still hires people from the countries they operate in, but the positions themselves are remote.
Coinbase is growing rapidly, and at any given time, Coinbase has hundreds of open jobs. Check out the jobs below if you're looking to work for Coinbase.
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Security Operations Team (Threat Intelligence)
Security is a primary competency at Coinbase, and the Security Operations team keeps a watchful eye over every aspect of it. Every day, we go to battle against some of the most sophisticated attackers in the world to protect billions of dollars worth of digital assets and ensure that our customers and employees can enjoy a safe, trusted experience. As Coinbase scales globally, our team is scaling along with it, using a blend of tooling, automation, and strategic team growth to ensure that we’re well-equipped to protect the next billion users of crypto.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
The Security Operations group is a multi-functional organization that includes our CSIRT, Trust & Safety, Insider Threat, and Threat Intelligence. While no two days will end up looking the same, generally-speaking you’ll be responsible for the following things:
- Growing our threat actor tracking and analytic efforts, to provide actionable intelligence to our security, product, and ecosystem partners.
- Researching emerging attack trends, uncovering attacker infrastructure and tools, and helping Coinbase make sure attackers have a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad day.
- Monitoring and analyzing in-the-wild exploits, malware, and attacks against other crypto exchanges, determining attribution to a particular threat group, and working with our CSIRT to develop detections accordingly.
- Creating tools and automations to handle repetitive research tasks and bridge the gap between existing and needed capabilities.
- Sharing your most interesting findings via the Coinbase blog, internal and external presentations, and threat profiles or reports.
- Train and mentor teammates and partners in intelligence analysis, operations, reverse engineering, and operational security.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
Some security teams have strict requirements about certifications, degrees, years of experience, and things like that. Not us! We’re more interested in the unique perspectives and expertise you’ll bring to the team, rather than the acronyms on your resume. However, you’ll be much more likely to be successful in this role if these bullet points seem like a good description of you:
- You’ve been doing practical security things (detection and response, malware analysis, security research, etc) for a while now, probably in the realm of 6+ years.
- You are comfortable doing malware analysis, in either static or dynamic environments, and have a favorite tool or set of tools you use to tear binaries apart.
- You’re familiar with Python and/or Go and have used it for data analysis or to automate the task that made you bored when you were asked to do it more than three (or a thousand) times.
- You regularly use OSINT or threat intelligence to better understand an attack or piece of malware. You effectively communicate your findings and analysis with the team.
- You’re curious about how cyber actors operate, and you’re determined to not let a broken dependency or sinkholed domain stop you from figuring it out. You aren’t afraid to ask for help from your coworkers or network, but you know how to spot a rabbit hole before you’ve gone too deep.
Nice to haves:
- You would bring a diverse perspective to the team: for example, maybe you took an unconventional route to get into your current security career.
- You’ve got a deep familiarity with blockchains and cryptocurrency. You know how peel chains and mixers work on a technical level, and can talk about the impact of off-chain transactions on blockchain investigations.
- Experience presenting your work through blogging, conferences, or media publications, and building strong professional networks.
Pay Transparency Notice: Depending on your work location, the target annual salary for this position can range from $201,450 to $237,000 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.
Please let Coinbase know you found this position on CryptoJobster.com as a way to support us so we can keep providing you with quality crypto jobs.