Head of Legal - Crypto
Who Are We?
Obol Labs is a remote-first research and software development team focused on Proof of Stake infrastructure for public blockchain networks. Specific topics of focus are Internet Bonds, Distributed Validator Technology, and Multi-Operator Validation. The core team includes 35 members spread across +14 countries.
The core team is building the Obol Network, a protocol to foster trust-minimized staking through multi-operator validation. This will enable low-trust access to Ethereum staking yield, which can be used as a core building block in various Web3 products.
The network can be best visualized as a work layer that sits directly on top of the base layer consensus. This work layer is designed to provide the base layer with more resiliency and decentralization as it scales. In this chapter of Ethereum, we will move on to the next great scaling challenge, which is stake centralization. Layers like Obol are critical to the long-term viability and resiliency of public networks, especially networks like Ethereum.
Obol as a layer is focused on scaling main chain staking by providing permissionless access to Distributed Validators. The network utilizes a middleware implementation of Distributed Validator Technology (DVT), to enable the operation of distributed validator clusters that can preserve validators' current client and remote signing configurations.
Similar to how roll-up technology laid the foundation for L2 scaling implementations, we believe DVT will do the same for scaling the consensus layer while preserving decentralization. Staking infrastructure is entering its protocol phase of evolution, which must include trust-minimized staking networks that can be plugged into at scale. We believe DVT will evolve into a widely used primitive and will ensure the security, resiliency, and decentralization of public networks.
The Obol Network develops and maintains three core public goods that will eventually work together through circular economics:
The DV Launchpad, a User Interface for bootstrapping and managing Distributed Validators
Charon, a Golang based middleware client that enables validators to run in a fault-tolerant, distributed manner.
Obol Splits, a set of solidity contracts for the formation of Distributed Validators tailored to different use cases such as DeFi, Liquid Staking, and Fractionalized Deposits
Sustainable Public Goods
Obol is inspired by previous work on Ethereum public goods and experimenting with circular economics. We believe that to unlock innovation in staking use cases, a credibly neutral layer must exist for innovation to flow and evolve vertically. Without this layer, highly available uptime will continue to be a moat.
The Obol Network will become an open, community-governed, self-sustaining project over the coming months and years. Together we will incentivize, build, and maintain distributed validator technology that makes public networks a more secure and resilient foundation to build on top of.
As the Head of Legal at Obol Labs, you will play a pivotal role in ensuring legal compliance and facilitating our business operations. You will work closely with our CEO, the General Counsel of the Obol Association and the business team, gaining hands-on experience in a wide range of legal matters, including regulatory, securities law, data protection, commercial agreements, and employment law. The ideal candidate is a self-starter and team player, capable of thriving in a remote work setting while actively collaborating with a small, dedicated team.
- Assist in drafting, reviewing, and negotiating commercial agreements, partnership agreements, and other contracts essential to our operations.
- Conduct legal research to provide guidance on regulatory and securities law issues relevant to our business.
- Collaborate with the business team to ensure compliance with data protection and privacy laws in relation to customer data and business operations.
- Provide legal support in matters related to employment law, including contracts, policies, and workplace compliance.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of internal legal policies and procedures.
- Stay up-to-date with developments in the legal and regulatory landscape that impact our industry.
- Advice and collaborate with the People team with any legal employment advice needed.
- Law degree from an accredited university and a valid legal license.
- 2-5 years of relevant legal experience, with exposure to regulatory, securities law, data protection, commercial agreements, and employment law.
- A strong understanding of blockchain technology and the cryptocurrency ecosystem would be an asset but not essential.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Proven ability to work independently in a remote work environment.
- Collaborative mindset, enthusiastic about working in a small team.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ideal Time zone from GMT-8 to GMT+3.
Join us to lead our Legal team
Thank you for your interest. Looking forward to building amazing stuff together!
Job posted on