Rust + TypeScript Engineer
Parity is one of the world's most experienced core blockchain infrastructure companies, having built and pioneered some of the most advanced technologies in the blockchain sector. Parity was founded by Dr. Gavin Wood, co-founder and former CTO of Ethereum, the primary engineer behind the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM), inventor of the Solidity programming language, and primary author of the Ethereum Yellowpaper.
Based in Berlin, London, and Lisbon, Parity has built clients for Ethereum, Bitcoin, and Zcash and has pioneered a completely new, next-generation blockchain protocol with Polkadot and the framework it’s built with, Substrate. Parity builds the open-source technologies needed to power an unstoppable, decentralised web—known as Web3—and helps developers and organisations implement and build upon the Web3 tech stack.
With a remote-first, global team, Parity is building open-source technologies for developers and organisations to implement and build upon. Our Web3 tech stack includes Polkadot, Substrate, and Kusama.
People in our collective are:
- Highly motivated to contribute to Parity’s mission and be part of something bigger
- Excited to work on projects that are groundbreaking and complex
- Autonomous workers that self-initiate, but also collaborate well with others
- Taking maximum accountability and having minimum ego at work
- Comfortable with chaos and adapting to the ever-changing Web3 space
- Continuously educating themselves about Parity and the wider ecosystem
About the team:
You're applying to join the Product Engineering department, and you'll be focused on building and maintaining tooling and applications (written primarily in Rust and TypeScript) which make it easier for developers to explore and interact with Substrate based blockchains such as Polkadot.
- Some examples of the projects you're likely to contribute to:
- subxt: a Rust based client library which makes it easy to connect to a Substrate based chain and interact with it.
- jsonrpsee: a Rust based implementation of the JSON-RPC protocol for client-server communication (used in Substrate and Subxt).
- substrate-api-sidecar: A RESTful service build using TypeScript which exposes some high level APIs for gathering information from Substrate nodes
- substrate-telemetry: a Rust backend and TypeScript+React frontend responsible for gathering and displaying live information about chains on the Polkadot network.
About the position:
- You’ll design, build and maintain Rust-based tools/libraries to help internal/external teams build, debug, instrument and manage substrate-based blockchains.
- You'll find yourself gradually taking ownership of different areas of our codebases and projects.
- You'll likely spend around 70% of your time contributing to our Rust projects and 30% contributing to our TypeScript ones, with the exact split depending on your own skills and preferences.
- You will work fully remotely, working in a remote team of ~10 engineers based mostly around Europe.
- Be able to work autonomously and function well in a distributed team. A big part of this is being an excellent communicator; conveying ideas clearly, helping others, sharing regular progress updates and raising concerns and blockers quickly.
- Take an interest in blockchain technology in general and Substrate/Polkadot in particular: you'll build an awareness of the problems that the ecosystem faces and how we can help to solve them.
- Have a passion and enthusiasm for the Rust programming language, its community and values: we use Rust extensively, and often push it to the limits to deliver robust and performant software.
- Have demonstrable experience in TypeScript, in particular open source projects, and keen to grow and improve in this area.
- Have a good understanding of networking fundamentals, including TCP/IP, HTTP and WebSockets, and demonstrable experience building HTTP based APIs and clients.
- Ideally you'll live within 2 hours of UTC+0, but exceptional candidates outside of this timezone will also be considered.
About working for us:
- Competitive remuneration packages based on iterative market research, including tokens (where legally possible)
- “Future of work” environment that’s remote-first and self-initiating with flexible hours
- Team mates that are genuinely excited about their impact and projects
- Access to the brightest minds in this space to learn about Web3 and develop your skills and knowledge while on the job
- Becoming part of the wider ecosystem (career and networking opportunities)
- Team and company-wide retreats
- Work laptop
- Opportunity to relocate to Germany or Portugal (with visa sponsorship)
Those joining our collective as an employee in Germany, Portugal, and the U.K. also enjoy benefits such as health care, parental leave, PTO (28 days per year), local team events, yearly L&D budget, and language classes.
Parity is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome diversity in our global team and care about everyone in our collective feeling included and welcome.
View our Applicant Notice to see how we use your data.
Is this position not quite your match? Browse our other open roles.